Marathon Patent Group Announces That the USPTO Has Denied Volkswagen Group of America, Inc.'s Petition for Inter Partes Review of Signal IP, Inc.'s '927 Patent
LOS ANGELES, CA -- (Marketwired) -- 08/26/15 -- Marathon Patent Group, Inc. (NASDAQ: MARA) ("Marathon"), a patent licensing company, announced today that on August 25, 2015, the Patent Trial and Appeal Board ("PTAB") of the United States Patent and Trademark Office ("USPTO") denied a petition for inter partes review ("IPR"), IPR2015-00968, filed by Volkswagen Group of America, Inc. against Marathon subsidiary Signal IP, Inc.'s U.S. Patent No. 5,714,927 B1 ("'927 Patent"). This was the only IPR filed against this patent.
The PTAB ruled: "We are not persuaded that the Petition demonstrates a reasonable likelihood that Petitioner would prevail in establishing unpatentability of claims 1, 2, and 6. For the foregoing reasons, we are not persuaded the information presented in the Petition establishes a reasonable likelihood that Petitioner would prevail in establishing unpatentability of claims 1, 2, and 6 as obvious over Bernhard, Pakett, and Fujiki. For the foregoing reasons, it is ORDERED that the Petition is denied as to all challenged claims and no trial is instituted."
"We are pleased with the USPTO's decision denying Volkswagen's IPR petition, especially since this was the only IPR filed against the 927 patent," said Doug Croxall, Founder and CEO of Marathon Patent Group. "This ruling, along with those that have preceded it, continue to demonstrate the value of our proprietary process to assess, value, and acquire high quality patent assets that have the potential of generating meaningful return on investment for both the company and its shareholders."
The '927 patent has been asserted in the following proceedings:
- Signal IP, Inc. v. Ford Motor Company, No. 2-14-cv-13729 (E.D. Mich.);
- Signal IP, Inc. v. Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC et al., No. 2-14-cv-03109 (C.D. Cal.);
- Signal IP, Inc. v. Fiat USA, Inc. et al., No. 2-14-cv-13864 (E.D. Mich.);
- Signal IP, Inc. v. BMW of North America, LLC et al., No. 2-14-cv-03111 (C.D. Cal.);
- Signal IP, Inc. v. Jaguar Land Rover North America, LLC, No. 2-14-cv-03108 (C.D. Cal.); settled since;
- Signal IP, Inc. v. Volkswagen Group of America, Inc. d/b/a Audi of America, Inc. et al., No. 2-14-cv-03113 (C.D. Cal.);
- Signal IP, Inc. v. Porsche Cars North America, Inc., No. 2-14-cv-03114 (C.D. Cal.); settled since;
- Signal IP, Inc. v. Volvo Cars of North America, LLC, No. 2-14-cv-03107 (C.D. Cal.); settled since;
- Signal IP, Inc. v. Nissan North America, Inc., No. 2-14-cv-02962 (C.D. Cal.);
- Signal IP, Inc. v. Mazda Motor of America, Inc., No. 8-14-cv-00491 (C.D. Cal.);
- Signal IP, Inc. v. Kia Motors America, Inc., No. 2-14-cv-02457 (C.D. Cal.); and
- Signal IP, Inc. v. American Honda Motor Co., Inc. et al., No. 2-14-cv-02454 (C.D. Cal.).
About Marathon Patent Group
Marathon is a patent acquisition and monetization company. The Company acquires patents from a wide-range of patent holders from individual inventors to Fortune 500 companies. Marathon's strategy of acquiring patents that cover a wide-range of subject matter allows the Company to achieve diversity within its patent asset portfolio. Marathon generates revenue with its diversified portfolio through actively managed concurrent patent rights enforcement campaigns. This approach is expected to result in a long-term, diversified revenue stream. To learn more about Marathon Patent Group, visit www.marathonpg.com.
Safe Harbor Statement
Certain statements in this press release constitute "forward-looking statements" within the meaning of the federal securities laws. Words such as "may," "might," "will," "should," "believe," "expect," "anticipate," "estimate," "continue," "predict," "forecast," "project," "plan," "intend" or similar expressions, or statements regarding intent, belief, or current expectations, are forward-looking statements. While the Company believes these forward-looking statements are reasonable, undue reliance should not be placed on any such forward-looking statements, which are based on information available to us on the date of this release. These forward looking statements are based upon current estimates and assumptions and are subject to various risks and uncertainties, including without limitation those set forth in the Company's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission (the "SEC"), not limited to Risk Factors relating to its patent business contained therein. Thus, actual results could be materially different. The Company expressly disclaims any obligation to update or alter statements whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise, except as required by law.
Marathon Patent Group
Source: Marathon Patent Group
Released August 26, 2015